Tuesday, December 11, 2007

On the Radio


Talking yesterday about SPUD 102 and my upcoming segments on the station got me thinking about a couple live performances that have aired recently that yielded some marvelous offerings for the Holiday season.

First up is Ingrid Michaelson. I personally discovered her by happening upon her My Space page, but she's had songs featured in Old Navy commercials and on Grey's Anatomy. The track I am featuring by her is a very intriguing take on building a snowman. It's the polar opposite of the silly song Gene Autry sang when he was boggled beyond belief about where a snowman could go if you build a fire by it.

This song was performed live for WXPN 88.5 at the University of Pennsylvania. As far as I've been able to see from Ingrid's two CD releases is that she doesn't have this on a CD yet. She appears to have a holiday related tune on Girls and Boys ("December Child") but if this live performance is any indication, I think Ingrid needs to bless us with a Christmas/holiday themed CD next year with all original songs. This is a very, very striking track.

Ingrid Michaelson-Men of Snow

Next I have another live performance, this time from Today FM in Dublin. Juliet Turner gives us a tale about winter in this track. As far as I can find, it's not on any CD of hers. Please correct me if I am mistaken.

Juliet Turner-Winter's Tale

I also have another Christmas music oddity. Seeing as this is a radio themed post, and I talked previously about Todd MacEwen, my mind went back to this track. He sent me a handful of Christmas tunes that were mostly new to me, all by Canadian artists. Meryn Cadell penned a track called "The Cat Carol," and I have to admit I wasn't exactly delighted to see that name on a song. If Todd hadn't sent it to me, I doubt I'd ever give a song like that the time of day because all I could think of was the "Jingle Cats" type crap. Meryn's song just goes to show you that you cannot judge a song by its title.

Meryn Cadell-The Cat Carol


And please give a listen to my first segment on SPUD 102. More to follow...

SPUD 102 12/10/07

No comments: