Thursday, March 20, 2008

What a Year for a New Year

In my Merry March post, I forgot to mention one of the most important holidays of this month...NOWRUZ!!!

Also spelled Norouz, Narooz, Norooz, Nawruz, Newroz, Nauruz, Nawroz, Noruz, Novruz, Nauroz, Navroz, Naw-Rúz, Nowroj, Navroj, Nevruz, Наврӯз, Navruz, Navrez or Nowrouz

It is not just the first day of Spring, but it is the first day of the year for many cultures around the world. As I said in my New Year's Eve post, I feel we screwed the pooch by trading the first day of spring as the first day of the new year for Jan. 1st. See, we could have kept Jan 1st...I am sure our collective minds could have come up with a holiday to celebrate that day. "Turning of the Calendar Day" or something. But, dang, if today wasn't a great day to have off of work, at least around here. 70º and sunny...but I know it wasn't that way for everybody.

In fact, 70 counties not far from me are declared Federal disaster areas due to heavy rains and floods, and they are going to get worse. I went by the store after work to get some groceries and I got next to nothing and spent $46.00. My gas gauge in my car is getting closer and closer to that E mark everyday, and that will be another $32.00 or so to fill my little tank. Jobs falling, prices rising. Fed cuts interest rates, corporations cut jobs and mortgages raise and our salaries remain stagnant.

Not that you need to come to this blog to read all that...turn on the news if you wanted to really know about it, right? But it got me at least a LITTLE hopeful today since this is technically the first day of the new year (and the day I prefer to celebrate the first day of the New Year!) And I know it's more middle eastern countries that celebrate this as the first day of the New Year, but they have been doing it a lot longer than our country has been around, or probably could hope to be around. So, yeah, I think they got this day right.

We may be facing a recession (and if we are facing the recession, I hate to think what we are in now!!!) but this is an election year, so you never know. Here's hoping...this is quite a year for a new year.

Dan Wilson-What a Year for a New Year




No comments: