Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Benji Is...

When I learned of this record, I immediately assumed this was Christmas songs from the more famous Benji, star of movies and TV for years. When I got the record I didn't remember Benji being so...well...evangelical.

It turns out that this record became a bit of a history lesson for me. It turns out Lutheran Television produced these animated specials, and "Christmas Is" featured Benji and Waldo. And Benji is the boy, not the dog, so please don't confuse this Benji with Benji the dog. It took me a minute.

Benji is to be a shepherd in the school Christmas play and he doesn't hide his disappointment. As Benji practices his lines with Waldo at his side he falls asleep and dreams he and Waldo are back in Bethlehem at the time of Christ's birth. I have never seen this special, but reading up about it on IMDB.com makes me wish this one would come to DVD.

My understanding is that "Christmas Is" was popular enough to make the title song a radio hit, so we can file this one under "Lost Radio Treasures" as well.

At any rate, I want to share the tracks with you, saved from a flexidisc mailed out back in 1974 for whatever reason (was it a give-a-way? Send in cereal box tops? Did Lutheran Television sell it? Fan club premium?) and I have to say finding Christmas music like this on flexidisc is one of my favorite things to find. Not too many are out there, and it's a good day when you find one in great condition.

1) You Can't Stop Christmas
2) Chip Chip Away
3) Christmas All Over the World
4) Christmas Is

And you can find the special on You Tube...






Thank you for reading, listening, and watching.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

OMG, thank you for posting this. I had this record as a child and have just the memory of the cover with the white shaggy dog and had no recollection what it was. Thanks for solving a 30some year mystery for me!
Merry Christmas.
:)
Dave

The Blue Carbuncle said...

Just wanted to drop by all the Bloggers who have helped make this such a wonderful season and say a great big thanks for your generosity of spirit, your efforts and your time ... you're truly appreciated ...

THANKS!

And from me & mine to you & yours and everyone else reading ...

Please accept with no obligation, implied or implicit, our best wishes for an environmentally conscious, socially responsible, low stress, non-addictive, gender neutral, celebration of the winter solstice holiday, practiced within the most enjoyable traditions of the religious persuasion of your choice, or secular practices of your choice, with respect for the religious/secular persuasions and/or traditions of others, or their choice not to practice religious or secular traditions at all . . . . . and a fiscally successful, personally fulfilling, and medically uncomplicated recognition of the onset of the generally accepted calendar year 2009, but not without due respect for the calendars of choice of other cultures whose contributions to society have helped make Canada and other western nations great, and without regard to the race, creed, color, age, physical ability, religious faith, choice of computer platform, or sexual preference of the wishee.

Anonymous said...

Hi. Just want to ay that I wish I still had my disc. I recieved my 'record' when I was in elementary school following our church Christmas program along with a stocking filled with fruit and candy. I remeber the music well and wanted to let you know that there is a DVD version available. You have to purchase online. I purchased mine from one of the Christian stores online.

Anonymous said...

Do you think you could re-upload those MP3s of that flexy disk record? The links as posted are dead.

Chris Sobieniak said...

I would vouch for that too, but it's been 4 years and I guess the author has given up hope. :-(